The RequirementsTo be a good fit for this B2C sales opportunity you should have:
- An understanding of construction and/or remodeling would be helpful, but at a minimum, you need to be able to look at the big picture and identify the actual issues behind the immediate problem a customer called about
- Sales experience in B to C (ideally home improvement, though we’ll consider other industries), using a consultative approach, with a proven track record of success
- Experience selling to customers in their homes would be helpful
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including exceptional listening skills, and the ability to quickly build rapport
- The physical ability and willingness to climb ladders, get on a roof when needed, and go into attics and crawl spaces to diagnose roof issues
- Ambition, drive, hunger for the sale, discipline to follow up, and a strong self-motivation to get the job done with excellence
- The ability to work independently and with a team
- Sports experience is preferred, but at a minimum, we’d need you to be willing to be trained and coached, and understand what it means to be a team player
- A BA or BS degree is preferred, but not required
The RoleThis is a job for a super salesperson.
Joining four others on the sales team, you will bring your amazing consultative and rapport-building skills to help guide warm leads through the sales process and to a close. Your focus will be on identifying the wants and needs of current and prospective customers and creating the right solution.
The sales process.
The process begins when a lead contacts us, and our sales support team sets them up for an appointment. Once you’re trained and working at our normal pace, you will complete an average of two new and one follow-up appointment per day (though these are the averages, daily numbers will vary depending on demand and performance). You’ll go to their home where you’ll ask questions about the problem that led them to us. However, the customer is often only seeing the ‘tip of the iceberg’ (such as a leak). You will use your acumen to diagnose the deeper issue, which may include climbing a ladder to get on the roof, and/or getting into an attic or crawl space.
You’ll take away the key information you need, and leave behind the beginnings of rapport and peace of mind that we are experts and can handle whatever the problem may be. Then you’ll collaborate with our production team to come up with the right solution to solve the customer’s issues. Each day will present interesting challenges because you’re not selling the same product over and over again. The sales support team will set up a follow-up appointment where you’ll present the solution and work to close the sale.
Once the sale is closed, your part is done and our project managers take over the job. Though you’ve moved on to the next sale, you’ll continue to earn commission if a client that you closed ends up ordering more through a change order.
Setting you up for success.
In addition to a strong support team, we also provide you with the training and tools to do your job. All leads will have been pre-qualified, so each opportunity is yours to win or lose. You’ll be in the office for part of every day where you’ll have plenty of training, networking, and the chance to learn from our experienced team. Unlike some other B2C sales roles, we show you your leads and appointments as far in advance as we know about them so you’re prepared. We’ll gauge your success based on the amount of your net sales, number of sales vs. number of leads issued, and your efficiency.
Additionally, we’ll expect you to:
- Be meticulously professional as you provide inspections and presentations as part of your role.
- Continually engage in training and networking to upgrade your skills.
- Attend all sales and TQM meetings.
- Live our mission (for more on this, see the Why tab)
Pictured: We service the greater Boston metro area.
Why GF SpragueHigh profile impact -- You’ll be replacing one of our top salespeople who is retiring. This has left a large opportunity to take over high quality leads across a strong territory. We also have company growth plans that will ensure you have plenty of opportunities to earn a great commission.
Great training program -- Our goal is to set you up well for success, so we begin by training you on our highly successful and proven system, as well as our company products, and objection handling. Then you’ll go on ride-alongs until you’re ready to take customers on your own. Even after you begin to work your own set of leads, we still schedule ride-alongs periodically so the team can help each other out and learn together. We also offer formalized in-house training every week, as well as plenty of networking and development opportunities so you can continually learn and grow.
Personal and professional development -- Many of our salespeople are so happy with the job and their earnings potential that they stay in sales with us for their entire careers. However, if you’re thinking about moving to a different role after a few years, you can rest assured that we actively promote from within. With our growth trajectory, we expect there will be plenty of opportunity for advancement.
High standard for excellence -- For over 45 years, GF Sprague has provided residents and institutions with the highest quality craftsmanship and service offered in any industry. We are distinguished in the industry by our commitment to deliver an alternative for customers who insist on qualified, accredited restoration specialists, as we offer industry-standard specifications, trained and certified craftsmen, competitively priced options and real deal warranties.
Building customer loyalty -- Our customers consistently tell us how happy they are with the quality of work we do. In fact, we still service many customers and their families decades later, some dating back to 1969. The culture of "Serving Our Existing Customers First" starts now and continues years after the project has been completed. We honor "Customers for Life," offering regular warranty inspections for free.
Mission-driven company -- We have a strong mission, built on a few simple concepts:
- Serve our customers well by keeping our employees happy.
- Build our reputation with quality work and great service.
- Make money to grow the company, and to reward our employees.
- Give back by donating to charity; we give a full 1% of our revenue to the Home for Little Wanderers.
- Have fun, because if you’re not enjoying the ride you wouldn’t want to stay on it.
Excellent compensation -- in addition to competitive commission that earns our salespeople an average 6-figure compensation in their first year, we offer comprehensive benefits. Our benefits include comprehensive and affordable medical, life, and disability insurance with the option for dental; a 401(k) plan with company match; a discretionary profit-sharing plan; the opportunity to earn national awards and recognition; pre-loaded sales laptop; and a well-equipped sales vehicle for use during business hours. We also pay for a tropical vacation for the entire team (employees + spouses) if we meet our sales and production goals. (We’ve earned it in 8 of the past 10 years! If you’re the person we’re looking for you can’t wait to help us earn the next one!).
Keys to SuccessRetired football coach Lou Holtz is well known for his three key questions asked of every leader, and you can be sure our customers are asking themselves the same questions when they meet you:
- Are you trustworthy?
- Are you committed to excellence?
- Do you have the customer’s best interest at heart?
If you’re not hungry enough to put in the work to make over 6 figures per year, this may not be the right role for you. On the other hand, if you are great at consultative sales, you know how to build rapport while getting to the sale, and you’re willing to take the time to understand and diagnose the real issues so you can build the correct solution, then we’d like to hear from you.